Effects and modes for group pictures

edited March 2012 Posted in » General Discussion
We are wanting to take some family pictures in couple of weeks. We have a total of 25 family members and want to have a group picture if possible and the background will be the blossom of an almond orchard and a garden with lots of flowers and green shrubs.

Could you please let me know what settings will be ideal for this type of picture? I have the two lens 18-55mm and 55-300mm.

Also, how could I take a picture of a group and have the back ground somewhat blurry or use the selective color effect? Thanks for your help

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Hi @dgenaro21- Group shots are always challenging especially with 25 + people. Your 55-300mm lens probably won't have a wide enough angle of view unless you can back away from your group, so the 18-55mm will be the one you use.

To get the bokeh effect, don't position your group too close to the shrubbery and use a large enough aperture in AV mode to give you the depth of field you need while making the background blurry. Just below the lens release button is the DOF button which will enable you to preview what is in focus and what is not by manually stopping the lens down to the aperture you have set.

Try to position your group in slightly curved rows with the tallest at the back rather than a straight line so you can fit everybody in more easily.
    Hope this helps and I am sure Moose will get back to you with some even better ideas. Good luck! PBked
  • Howdy @dgenaro21 - Which DSLR do you have? Will you have access to an external flash and/or a tripod? This will help me pinpoint some settings to start with.
  • @PBked - Thanks for your input. :)
  • edited March 2012
    Hi Moose, yes I do have a tripod and external flash. In fact I just purchased them over the weekend. Thanks @PBked for your help. I hope to get a great picture.