Camera Won't Shoot Through Viewfinder

edited May 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
When I use the viewfinder and push the shutter button halfway, the camera tries to adjust focus for a long time. When it finishes the auto focus adjust (which in these cases is not good), I push the shutter button, but it doesn't shoot. The problem occurs when I try to shoot objects (i.e. a white wall with few details, 3 meters apart and in low light). If I use the live view mode, it can shoot even if the image is unfocused. Is it normal or is my lens or camera broken? FYI, one month ago my camera fell from 1 meter high and the shop fixed the lens. I appreciate the help in advance.
André

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Can anyone help me, please?
  • edited May 2013
    Focusing in low light is always hard, especially when you try to focus on a white wall. In most cases the camera is not able to focus on a totally white or black color. You have to find contrast in your scene, and try to focus on that part.
    You can try to focus to other subjects which are the same distance as your main subject. Once the focus is achieved, lock focus, recompose, and take the shot.
    The other thing that you can try is to light the subject with a flashlight, meanwhile you try to achieve focus. Once the focus is achieved, you have to lock focus by 1) pressing the Shutter release button half-way, 2) use the AE-L/AF-L button, or 3) simply switch the lens to manual focus.
    You can also try the AF-assist lamp to achieve focus.
    I've tried to focus on a white wall both through the viewfinder and liveview mode, and neither achieved focus, only focus hunting.
    All in all, your camera is not fault. Simply try to focus on contrasty subjects, and help your AF-system with additional light source to achieve focus in low light situations.
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks for your help! I'll try to use the tips you wrote.