50mm Versus 35mm Lens

edited May 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I want to acquire either a 50mm or a 35mm lens for my D5100, but I can't decide which one I should go for. I have done a bit of research and gathered that the Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G or D would successfully autofocus on my camera. I would go for the AF-S lens because it would do both autofocusing and manual. Having said that, I also read a few discussion forums regarding the choice between the 50mm and 35mm, but I would like an opinion from the guys over here.

Another thing is that the prices for both these lenses are near to each other with the 50mm being a bit higher than the 35mm. So, with these points in my mind, I decidid to go for the 50mm. Is my choice correct or an incorrect one?

Please help.

Comments

• edited May 2013
    It is honestly a matter of personal preference. Do you have a lens that covers 35mm and 50mm such as the kit 18-55mm? What you will find is that they are not that drastically far apart. With the 35mm you can more often move closer when need be as opposed to the 50mm and not always being able to move back if you are in a small room or something. I went with the 35mm f/1.8G and I love it! However, I will likely pick up a 50mm someday just because they are both phenomenal and useful little lenses, and for their price range great to have in any kit. You've made the order so you may as well enjoy what you've got. At the end of the day, if you really don't like it, it is a very popular lens and could easily be sold for near what you paid for it in order to pick up the 35mm.
  • edited May 2013
    I do have the standard 18-55mm VR kit. I have not yet made the order and am pondering over my decision as of yet. Since you suggest to go for the 35mm, should I settle for manual or AF-S? I'm okay with manual focusing.

Moreover, should I worry about the G type or D type? Could you elaborate on that a bit.

Thanks for your reply by the way.

Surjasama
  • edited May 2013
    If you have not ordered yet, this is what I would do.

Get out your kit lens and set it to 35mm. Go shoot around the house and maybe outside a bit to get a feel for close quarters versus the wide open space. Then set it to 50mm and repeat. Do this back and forth until you realize which of the two you would rather be stuck in since you cannot adjust a prime without using your feet. It is all preference honestly, so only you can decide which is better for you. Just shoot with both back and forth until you decide.

My advice would be to just get the G lens. This will autofocus. If you want to manual focus you can and on days that you don't want to it will do it automatically. The reason I say to just go for it in this instance is that these lenses are relatively inexpensive. 35mm f/1.8G is what I have and like it quite a bit when I need that low light performance.
  • edited May 2013
    I have had the 35mm and traded it for the 50mm f/1.8g. With the 35mm I thought I was always too close to the subject I was shooting and in my opinion the 50mm is a tad sharper.
  • edited May 2013
    @adelphos, I tried out both the techniques. I felt more comfortable with the 50mm, although the 35mm provides a better field of view in my opinion. I would go for some more experimenting before I finally go for the lens.

As for the auto/manual stuff, I also want to settle for the AF-S lens. It would provide both facilities. I'm looking forward to it although its price is double that of the AF lens.

I'll write again as soon as I have more queries. Thanks!
  • edited May 2013
    As pointed out above it is all preference. Many will say the 50mm is a tad sharper as well, but not so much that the 35mm isn't worth the money. I'll most likely pick up a 50mm someday after I have one more lens I want and upgrade bodies, just to have it around. Happy shooting.