Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

General Purpose Lens

edited May 2013 Posted in » Canon Lens Talk
I recently purchased the Canon 60D after owning a Canon Rebel for several years. The lenses I own are EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II. I am considering purchasing a new general purpose lens to be used both indoor and outdoor, people and group shots. Do you think this is a good idea or should I use the 50mm lens? Any advice would be appreciated.

• edited May 2013
    Hi @karen123,

I've taken very nice portraits using the 50mm f/1.8 II that you own. This is a little jewel of a lens, and an incredible bargain as well. You should definitely keep that lens in your camera bag.

However, I like the flexibility of a zoom lens sporting a wide aperture, especially one that will give me a wide angle when shooting groups.

I own the 18-55mm EF-S f/2.8 IS USM zoom lens. Its optical quality is outstanding for the price. It's very good for group shots, and it also performs very well in low light (for an APS-C body). Paired to a 430 EX-II flash, that's my go-to setup for weddings and other events where the shots are taken on the spur of the moment. So if I were you, I'd sell the EF-S 18-55mm that you already own and purchase a used, in mint condition copy of the 18-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens.

But don't take my word for it. You can rent the lens for around $35 for a weekend at specialized camera stores and make your own opinion of the lens.