Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Converting Adobe RGB to RGB to Make Prints

edited May 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hi All,
I am so happy to have found this forum today! Short background...had a Rebel XSI and took an adult ed class that was way over my head. I never really ventured off the auto setting side of the wheel. Took some nice shots over the past 6 years then my home was broken into and they took everything! Now I have a Canon 60D and a new desktop MAC. I am so determined to be a better photographer so I went out and bought a few 60D how to books. Now I think I'm in over my head! On the advise of one book, I changed my colorspace to Adobe RGB and shot in RAW & JPEG together. After numerous calls to Apple & Canon I was able to load my photos onto my computer in all sorts of files (I'm so lost at this point). I wanted to print a few pictures at Costco and found out today that they will convert all files (except RAW) to JPEG and they only use RGB. I went into Canon's digital photo program, my iphoto library and even my pictures files and now have no idea what to do! I just want to tweak some pictures, convert them to jpeg and have them printed at Costco. I also have Photoshop elements 10 in this mess/mix. Any advice would be so appreciated!
Thanks, A

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Thanks Liontamer! That article confirmed my fears. Yes, I was well in over my head! I have been opening my files with the Canon software and converting them to jpeg after doing any minor editing. I did notice tho that my MAC only imported the files as SRGB so maybe I got lucky this time.

In any case, I've already reset my camera; no more RAW or adobe for me!
    Thanks for you advise!
  • edited May 2013
    Just a warning, if you are as inexperienced as I am do not shoot RAW and Adobe. Three trips to the photo lab after hours of editing and all the shots look horrible. Liontamer, I wish I saw your article before I used the advise from the Canon 60D how to book I purchased.
  • edited May 2013
    I really should have done my homework before buying this camera. I had a Rebel XSI for years and was happy with it, but didn't take a lot of manual pictures. I mostly shot pictures of my kids in sports, and wildlife. The sports setting on that camera was very kind to me, and the pictures were very good 95% of the time. Then my home was broken into and they took everything! All my cameras, computers, etc. I was devastated and impulsive when it came time to replace my Rebel. I just went on a salesman's advice with this model. Big mistake! After reading your post I feel like I'm so over my head now. I've been taking photos with a point and shoot for 20 years, then went to the Rebel 35mm for a few years, then the digital. I've taken classes to learn the manual side and recently signed up for a local photography club thinking I'm finally going to "get it". Now I'm just ready to return this camera. Any suggestions for a model that is better suited for a non pro?