Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens Looks Zoomed

edited April 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I just purchase the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens, and have been using a Tamron 10-24mm.

Now everything looks really close up with this 50mm lens, almost like I have to back way up to just capture a scene. Is this what the lens is supposed to do? Also, for a general walking around the city lens, what would you recommend?

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Hi @jlm86 - The 50mm is twice the focal length of the 10-24mm and hence twice the zoom factor. The 10-24mm is classed as a true wide angle lens and if you have been used to using it, turning to 50mm is like putting binoculars in front of your eyes.

As for a walk around lens, I keep advocating the Tamron 18-270mm pzd on this forum. It really is a good lens. It is fast and silent to focus, is fairly light and comes equipped with image stabilization [ VC ].

Alright, it doesn't have the low light ability with its f/3.5 minimum aperture, but being able to go from wide angle cityscapes to close-up candids with a flick of the wrist is priceless.

You could also consider the Canon 18-135mm or 18-200mm, but in my mind, both struggle to compare with the Tamron when you look at the technical side.

However, price and what feels right in the hand are usually the first considerations for us amateur photographers, so go down to your local store with your camera and ask to try out a few lenses including the ones I have mentioned.

Best regards, PBked