Bag Recommendation

edited April 2013 Posted in » General Discussion
I'd like recommendations for a bag for my particular use. I have a Crumpler 5MDH that I carry a body with lens attached and two other lenses (prime, walkaround and telephoto). It is my primary day to day shooter that I take with me whenever I go anywhere with my camera. I would like a second bag that can fit a little more and I prefer ones like mine that don't necessarily scream camera bag!

If I were to carry one body and five lenses on road trips/vacations, here would be my setup:
-Nikon D7100
-Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 ED
-Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX
-Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
-Nikon 50mm f/1.8G
-Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR IF-ED

What would you recommend? I just need something to keep it all safe and organized.

Thanks all!

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Note that two of those are primes and all are relatively small. No big 2.8s or pro lenses for me. I can't justify a lens over a $1000 for a hobby. Maybe a backpack style?
  • edited May 2013
    For what it's worth, I've decided to sacrifice the 4.5 max aperture of the 24-85mm for the wider end of the 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 since it will be more usable for everyday shooting for me. Because of this, I will not be buying the ultra wide lens just yet.

Primary kit will be
    -D7100
    -16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G
    -35mm f/1.8G
    -70-300 f/4.5-5.6G

I'm honestly not too enthusiastic with the aperture range of the 70-300mm, I just don't see any other choices that are less than a grand or two. If those two were just f/3.5-4.5 I would be set.

Later on I will determine if I want a longer prime for low light or the ultra wide (which I love to shoot with).

So, I hope I'm still good with my Crumpler 5MDH bag.
  • edited May 2013
    Bit late here. I use in all my travels the Lowepro 150. It's pretty small but here are the things I carry:

D7000 + Tokina 12-24mm f/4
    Nikkor 35mm f/1.8g
    Tamron 70-300vc (about same size as Nikkor 70-300mm)

The pockets are just great! I'm also adding 50mm f/1.8g soon since the 35mm takes up such little room.

• edited May 2013
    I'm also carrying filters, tablet, and lens pen cloth. Behind the bag is a pocket that fits maps, tourist info, flight tickets and papers you need quick access to.
  • Looks to be similar in size to my Crumpler 5MDH with some different pouches. Thanks for the tip.
  • edited July 2013
    I had a Kata3N1-20 which just about drove me crazy. It was really, really difficult to get a camera with lens attached in and out of it without a struggle and the top flap would not open back fully unless I opened both side pockets fully as well, putting everything in it in danger of falling out. I ditched it yesterday for a Lowepro 250 Messenger and I love it. My camera with lens attached goes in and comes out like a hot knife through butter. It holds all the gear I had in the Kata and leaves room to spare for my next purchase. As a beginner and hobbyist I have no dedicated space in my home to hold supplies so everything needs to fit in here. In my bag I have Nikon D3100, Nikkor 18-55mm kit lens, Nikkor 55-300mm, Tamron 90mm f/2.8, water/glycerine spritzer bottle, Fuiji 50mm f/1.2 lens to use reversed, a LensPen, hand blower and cleaning cloth, memory cards, battery charger, orig caps for camera body and small, waterproof wirebound notebook and pen and, of course, Moose's cheat sheet cards for my D3100 which I printed off and laminated. Thanks Lowepro.
  • edited June 2014
    I got a Wildcraft Camera Sling Pro for my India trip at http://bit.ly/1llVp7j