White Balance

edited April 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
@Moose - Can you detail how to set my white balance?

My shooting environment is usually outdoor action sports (lacrosse) using a Nikkor 300mm f/4.5 and indoor/outdoor portrait like shooting of my young kids with a Nikkor fixed 50mm f/1.8. I noticed that even in portrait setting and indoors the color seems to be off (pinkish/orange in the flesh tones). Portrait or auto seems to be fine in outdoor shooting.

Let me know what you think about white balance, generally, and how I can adjust or set it. Thanks again.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Go into the camera's information display by pushing the "i" button twice, and on the upper right hand side of the screen you'll see the white balance option (WB); it's defaulted to auto.

Open the white balance option and you can select what type of lighting you're shooting under. If you go farther into those settings, you can make custom adjustments with the white balance fine tuning option.

Pages 81-87 of your manual (on CD) will go into great detail of the camera's white balance adjustment capabilities.
  • Thanks! Will try it and report back.
  • Howdy @david - As you mentioned in your original comment, I'd stick with Auto WB outdoors and choose a preset WB or set a custom WB when indoors. This will ensure your color accuracy is spot on.

@GerardH pointed out the initial steps for setting up your WB (thanks @GerardH). If you don't have the manual handy, you can download a PDF version here. All the best!