Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Rent a 580EXii or Buy a 270EXii?

edited April 2013 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I don't have much experience using a speed lite, but I want to have one on hand for a project this week. Is it better to rent the 580EXii model or should I just buy the 270EXii? Can't afford to buy the 430 or 580, but do you think the 270 is good enough?

Comments

• @cincodemayo - If this will be used for your upcoming restaurant shoot (mentioned in another thread), I would rent the 580EX II. The 270EX II is fine for everyday family photos and simple portraits, but for professional shots of food inside a restaurant, you'll need the added power and recycling speed of the 580EX.

One big issue with the 270EX is the fact that it can't 'bounce' light off a ceiling if shooting vertically (portrait orientation). Hope that all makes sense and happy shooting!
  • edited April 2013
    Hey Moose, yes it's for that same shoot. I actually ended up scratching both of those options and picking up a 430EX II last night from Best Buy. Never heard back from the rental place about the 580EX II. I read that it's much more powerful than the 270EX II, and I'll be working with pretty high ceilings so I figured that or the 580EX II was the way to go. Thanks again for the help!
  • @cincodemayo - Yep, the 430EX II will serve you well...you made the right choice. All the best!