Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Best Lens for Motorcycling Trip

edited April 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I'm pretty new to DSLR photography but I'm getting there slowly with the manual modes on my D5100.

I'm off for a couple of days on a motorcycling trip to watch some road races, and space is very tight because I can only take what I can carry on my back. I want to take a ton of photos while I'm there, not just of bikes and racing, but the local area, scenery, friends and just about anything else.
I have the standard 18-55mm kit lens, a Sigma 70-300mm f/1.4-5.6 and an AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/1.4-5.6g. My question is if I can only take one, which should it be and why? This is probably a really basic question but I don't know enough to make a decision so I thought I'd ask.
Cheers!

Comments

• Howdy @chugnut - If it were me, I'd probably take the 55-200mm, however, if the majority of your shots will be of groups, wide landscapes and bikes (up close) then bring your 18-55mm.

I like the 55-200mm, because you can take some nice portraits, zoom in to distant subjects/scenery and get a tighter composition that you wouldn't get with the 18-55mm.

Just my two cents...have a great trip and be sure to share a link to a photo gallery when you get back!
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks for the reply @Moose, I think I'll take your advice and try to fit both in. Looks like something else will have to be left at home.

Cheers mate!