Best Lens for Motorcycling Trip

edited April 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I'm pretty new to DSLR photography but I'm getting there slowly with the manual modes on my D5100.

I'm off for a couple of days on a motorcycling trip to watch some road races, and space is very tight because I can only take what I can carry on my back. I want to take a ton of photos while I'm there, not just of bikes and racing, but the local area, scenery, friends and just about anything else.
I have the standard 18-55mm kit lens, a Sigma 70-300mm f/1.4-5.6 and an AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/1.4-5.6g. My question is if I can only take one, which should it be and why? This is probably a really basic question but I don't know enough to make a decision so I thought I'd ask.
Cheers!

Comments

• Howdy @chugnut - If it were me, I'd probably take the 55-200mm, however, if the majority of your shots will be of groups, wide landscapes and bikes (up close) then bring your 18-55mm.

I like the 55-200mm, because you can take some nice portraits, zoom in to distant subjects/scenery and get a tighter composition that you wouldn't get with the 18-55mm.

Just my two cents...have a great trip and be sure to share a link to a photo gallery when you get back!
  • edited April 2013
    Thanks for the reply @Moose, I think I'll take your advice and try to fit both in. Looks like something else will have to be left at home.

Cheers mate!