In-Depth Guide for the Canon SX30 IS

edited March 2013 Posted in » General Discussion
My camera is a Canon SX30 IS and I would like information and demonstration on the purpose of each function. I do have the manual printed off from the Canon website.

Further to my initial question, perhaps a more appropriate question is to ask about websites that provide tutorials and lessons for real beginners to learn not only about their cameras, but the reason for the various modes.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Howdy @Clearmccoy - I've got a Quick Reference page for the Canon SX30IS, you should check it out. It doesn't go into great detail, but you may find it helpful.

My advice is to not worry about exploring every feature and mode. Rather, focus in on a particular type of photography that you're interested in (portraits, landscapes, macro, etc...) and then experiment with modes designed specifically for it.

If you've got questions about a certain type of photography, I'd be glad to point you in the right direction. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2013
    Thank you! I checked that site, printed it off, and will use it in conjunction with my manual for starters! My goal is to be able to take really good pictures at family gatherings and also scenic pictures (countryside, birds, animals, etc.). All in good time.
  • @Clearmccoy - The best way to improve the look of your family photos is to add a speedlite.

Instead of blasting your subject with harsh, unflattering light, a speedlite will allow you to bounce the light off a ceiling. This 'bounce' effect gives you much more natural looking light and great looking portraits, candids and group shots.

If you're worried about the technical side of things, don't...it's extremely easy. The latest speedlites from Canon simply slide on to the SX30 IS hot-shoe and sync automatically.

Most people start with the 270EX. It's small, light and quite affordable.

As for landscapes and wildlife, I would start by utilizing the available scene modes (landscape and sports) on the mode dial. Obviously use the 'mountain' icon when shooting landscapes (countrysides) and use the 'running man' icon for wildlife (birds, pets, etc...).

Happy shooting! :)