Which quality setting to get higher DPI?

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I have my Rebel T2i set at the L setting. I have a 16GB memory card. When I view the photos in Preview, it comes up at 72 resolution. This can't be right! Do I have to shoot everything in RAW to get a higher resolution? I am about to take this camera to China and I surely don't want all my pictures to be good only for viewing on a monitor! Help! Thanks, Dottie

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Howdy Dottie - DPI (dots per inch) is a term mostly used for printers, not DSLR's. Without getting into a long technical explanation, you have nothing to worry about...you'll be able to print high quality (300 dpi) images up to 11"x17" using the settings you have in place.

If you want to convert your 72 dpi images to 300 dpi, you can do so using image editing programs like Photoshop Lightoom, Elements, etc.... This will essentially decrease the pixel size (dimensions) of your images to accommodate 300 dpi.

Have a wonderful trip! :)
  • Whew! Thanks so much for explaining that. I do have Photoshop Elements so I can convert them if I want. This is just daydreaming, but . . . what if I wanted to submit a photo to istockphoto? Should I convert it to 300 dpi before submission, or just submit the original 18 megapixel version?
    P.S. Where have you been all my life?