Best Settings and Advice for Newborn Photos

edited March 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hi! I have a Nikon D5100 with kit lens. I am going to take some photos of my friend's two week old baby. I would like to know the best settings and any advice for shooting. Thanks!

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Depending if the subject is relatively still or being playful, you may have to adjust shutter speed, but most of the newborns I've held don't move all that much.

Will this be at their home and in good lighting? Knowing how to manipulate your ISO, aperture and shutter speed in various lightings will help you a lot.

Make sure you turn off your flash. I don't care what anyone says about it helping the picture, you've got to think of the baby. :)
  • edited March 2013
    Thank you! He will be still and it will be in her home with good lighting. Is there certain adjustments I can make or is it something I just need to play with once I'm there? Thanks again.
  • Howdy @jordanbd - I replied to a similar question in the D3100 forum, the same rules apply, you can check it out here.

Also, I recommend reading my Portrait Tips & Tricks Guide for the D5100 which will give you some additional pointers for your shoot.

If you have any other additional questions, feel free to ask. Happy shooting! :)
  • edited April 2013
    Hello everyone! What is more suitable for children and babies indoor and outdoor photography, the 50mm f/1.8 lens or the 35mm f/1.8? I'm very confused!
  • edited April 2013
    The difference between those two lenses for the most part is simply the angle of view. One will be more zoomed out so to speak and the other more zoomed in to put it simply.

Now don't get me wrong, they are prime lenses and do not zoom. I was just hoping to illustrate the difference to you.

50mm is preferred for portraits over the 35mm for the most part, but indoors and tight spaces the 35mm is preferred so you don't have to try and back up far enough to get a shot.

It's really a 50/50 between the two. Shoot at 35mm and 50mm with a different lens or test them both out and you'll be able to tell which angle of view you like better.