Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Light Attachments

edited March 2013 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I've been using my 60D since October and I'm finally looking to purchase a light, but I only have about $100 to spend at the moment. Does anyone have any suggestions on good, reliable lights at that price?

Comments

• Howdy @majorino760 - I'm guessing you're referring to a speedlite? If so, you could probably find a used 270EX for around $100. This is a great starter flash, which is also extremely light and portable.

If you need a bit more power and functionality, the 320EX or 430EX II would be the next step up. Happy shooting!
  • edited March 2013
    @Moose yes, my fault for not clarifying. What are your opinions on the Meike macro flash ring?
  • edited March 2013
    I didn't know that, I'm still a beginner. Thanks for the clarification, but I'm doing hip hop videos, not full scenes just yet. After the summer I plan on investing in scene lighting.
  • edited March 2013
    Oh ok. Well I've been getting some decent footage, but like I said I'm still relatively new. I use Final Cut Pro X. I'm going to expect some backlash for that one. :)
  • @majorino760 - Since you're interested in recording video, forget my first reply. Speedlite's are meant for stills.

I haven't experimented with the ring light you mentioned, but you might looking into getting a beauty dish.

Many of the latest music videos use beauty dishes for close-ups in their video sequences. You should be able to find one under a $100 bucks. Hope that helps! :)