Upgrade to Nikon D7100

edited March 2013 Posted in » General Discussion
The D7100 is the perfect camera for me as I don't need full frame. I'm going to shoot with my D5100 for a while until prices come down and then trade in my D5100 and kit lens for the new D7100 and an ultra wide. :D

Anyone else thinking about nabbing this new DX camera (link to the official Nikon D7100 USA page)?

Comments

• @Adelphos - I like the fact that the D7100 is weather sealed, has a built-in focusing motor and a pentaprism viewfinder (larger & brighter). I'll definitely give it a test drive.
  • edited March 2013
    @Moose was that link I put up not acceptable? I didn't mean to overstep any forum rules man, my apologies. Thanks for the fix.

I'm going to wait it out and see what happens to the price but I'm pretty sure it's going to sell like hot cakes for years. I'm in no hurry. It'll be the last camera I ever buy, so I can wait. On the other hand I don't want to have more than three lenses since I have a 5MDH bag and like to travel light. So many to choose from.
  • @Adelphos - I'm guessing a moderator updated your link. We try to clean up the long URL's with a cleaner looking text link. Did they not link to the right source?

Yep, it should be a promising DSLR.

I'm looking forward to the next crop of mirrorless cameras, like the Nikon 1 V2 (see here on Nikon's site). If I could replace some of my heavier gear for much lighter/portable equipment, I'd be all for it.
  • edited March 2013
    It's no biggie at all. It was just a link to a snapsort comparison of the D5100 and D7100 specs for those not familiar with it. Anyone can Google it themselves.
  • edited March 2013
    I was all set to upgrade to the D600 and they threw a wrench in the works with the D7100 FX or DX? Decisions, decisions... :)

Regarding mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras, maybe I'm old school because I come from a film background and was late to the digital photography world (kicking and screaming), but I do like an optical viewfinder and I'm still a fan of SLRs. Though I do see the advantages of mirrorless cameras too.
  • edited March 2013
    D600 = larger sensor and larger view finder.

D7100 = save $800 or so, and a bunch of little things like higher resolution screen, more focus points, smaller, lighter, slightly faster, faster shutter speed.

Little perks versus a bigger sensor.
  • edited March 2013
    The other thing with a D600 is that you'd have to consider is a serious upgrade in glass. Thom Hogan and others are concerned that even the 24MP DX sensor would exploit any defects in most of the currently affordable lenses out there.

Maybe getting a marked down D7000 isn't such a bad idea after all.
  • edited March 2013
    I'm having a hard time choosing glass for my DX. I know the ranges I want, but the apertures/performance aren't the best.

All I need is a wide, normal, and shortish zoom.

Price is nice, though with some things comparable to even the upper FX bodies, the D7100 just fits the bill for me.
  • edited March 2013
    The D7100 does sound very enticing judging by its specs, but I'd have to see some extensive hands on reviews with production models rather than cursory first impressions based on display units. I'm a little leery about noise with that number of pixels on a DX sensor. It doesn't sound like it has been an issue with the D5200, but everything else sounds like Nikon did it right with the D7100.

With that said, look up the Thom Hogan and Ken Rockwell reviews before you pull the trigger.
  • edited March 2013
    I don't put too much faith in Rockwell but I've read all the reviews (Hogan, every main reviewing site, snapsort specs, froknows, etc). I'm a consumer, not a pro. I'm still going to wait it out and see what the word is as more and more people have hands on it now. Either way, I'd either pick up my buddy's 7k or a new D7100 and a wide lens (probably the 10-24mm) and call it a day for everything I do.
  • edited March 2013
    Like you, I'm also an amateur; albeit a demanding one. I've also been following the dpreview and fredmiranda forum reviews and people have been very impressed by the D7100's image quality, its AF system, and the camera's IQ. The jury is still out on the camera's quality control in light of Nikon's recent D600 oil/dust sensor problems and the D800/800E left focus issues. If Nikon has successfully addressed all of that, the D7100 may very well be the best DX camera on the market for some time to come.

I'm ooking forward to handling one in the near future. :)
  • edited March 2013
    Adorama has a refurbished D7000 available for $749 shipped. Should I wait it out and get a D7100, or not?
  • edited March 2013
    Speaking for myself, I'd wait. There are some issues with banding in shadows when exposures are pushed (I need to research it more), but it sounds like it's pretty aggressive pushing of 4 stops or more with active d-lighting on. I'm also concerned a bit about noise. When you have 24 MP on a DX sensor, you start getting into the territory of diminishing returns and I'm beginning to wonder if 16 MP is more ideal for a crop sensor. Then there's the question of where Nikon's quality control is at right now. There has been some word of left focus issues similar to the D800/D800E (same 59-point AF system) and there are some oil on sensor reports cropping up like what has been happening with the D600. I need to find out if these are just isolated incidents or more widespread before I get off the fence.

New D7000 bodies are under $900 right now and I expect prices should continue to drop as the D7100 replaces it on retail shelves. The refurbished price sounds like a good deal, but is a D7000 enough of an upgrade over a D5100 to warrant the purchase? Tough call.
  • edited March 2013
    All very good points, sir.

I'm sitting on my 5100 for now and picking up a lens I've always wanted. I'm in no rush and have no problem waiting for lower prices and more feedback and reviews. Either way the money difference isn't much as I can sell my 5100 and kit lens for about a hundred bucks less than I paid for it to a buddy, so you have to subtract that from the overall price of either a 7000 or 7100. It's worth the upgrade to me. I would like the performance as well as weather proofing. That has proven to be a bigger deal to me than I thought it would.

Time will tell, but as far as I'm concerned this next upgrade (in body) will be my last camera ever so I may as well get the one I want (7100) and be happy with it for a very long time. Unless reviews come in that it is horrid and has some major flaw, I'd prefer it.
  • edited September 2013
    Got my 7100 this week. :) I only have about thirty photos with it so far, but wow, such an improvement!

I'm happy with my lenses for now but I'm seeing that I may not be for as long as I thought. Time shall tell.