Macro lens for the Nikon D3100

edited October 2013 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi everyone! I am an amateur photographer who is looking into a new lens. I have the Nikon D3100 and the 18-55mm VR lens. I am looking into getting a macro lens. I have viewed the Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G. If anyone has any reviews or ideas about this lens I would appreciate it! Also if anyone has any other lens suggestions that would be great! If anyone thinks that a macro lens isn't something that I really need with the current lens I have then any feedback about that would be great too. Thank to any responses and help!

Comments

• edited March 2013
    The Nikon AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G lens has a minimum focus distance of 16 cm. If you want to shoot bugs or insects, this lens will not work. They will soon disappear because of the short distance.
    If you would like to shoot a flower, the problem again is the short distance between the flower and the lens. The lens will drop a shade to the subject.
    Try to buy a macro lens with bigger focal length than 40mm (60mm, 80mm or 100 mm).
  • Howdy @kbacall - The 40mm f/2.8G is a fantastic "starter" macro lens. It'll give you the ability to capture true macro shots compared to your 18-55mm kit lens which has a much smaller magnification ratio.

As @szlaszlo07 mentioned, a longer macro lens (say the Nikon 60mm f/2.8 or the Nikon 105mm f/2.8) would increase the distance between you and your subject which can be helpful when shooting a variety of tiny subjects outdoors in bright light where your shadow might get in the way if you're too close.

What exactly are hoping to shoot with your macro lens?
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks for your input everyone! I do want to be able to photograph insects, flowers as well as close ups of smaller things. I am starting to second guess the 40mm, and I think I will try and go for one with a bigger focal length. Thanks so much!
  • @kbacall - You can definitely capture some great macros with the 40mm, you just have to get a bit more creative to not cast a shadow on your subject. You can see some fantastic examples taken with this lens on Flickr. Happy shooting!
  • edited July 2013
    @kbacall,
    I have the AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G lens and have taken what I think are some pretty awesome macro shots. Yes, there has been a few times the lens has cast a shadow on to the subject, but for the number of pictures I have taken it hasn't been a problem. I have been for the most part very happy with the lens.
  • edited August 2013
    I have the 40mm macro. Yes, I would have liked a longer lens, but finances dictated to buy the shorter.

I have lost a few opportunities because of closeness (especially flying insects) and shadows, but I have also captured some fantastic shots.
  • edited October 2013
    Check out www.uglyhedgehog.com and go to the macro section. There is a ton of good advice and samples from some very talented people!
  • edited September 2013
    The Nikon 105mm f/2.8 is my recommendation. Doesn't get much better other than a much bigger, heavier, more expensive lens or two.
  • Howdy @kbacall - Did you settle on a macro lens? Which one did you go for?
  • edited June 2014
    I have the 40mm lens and it's great. Price and info about it in various photo magazines made me buy it. I've got lots of macro pictures on Flickr taken with that lens (same user name as here).