How to Get Clear Action Shots of Animals With a Nikon J1?

edited February 2013 Posted in » General Discussion
I'm brand new to photography (so new I have never picked up a camera that is worth over $60), but I got fed up with my point-and-shoot and decided to endulge in a more sofisticated piece of equipment. I bought a Nikon J1; it's glass lens can go up to 60fps and is an interchangeable lens. My question is what settings should I use to get sharp action shots of animals? Mainly dogs running, jumping, doing agility, or just goofing around.

Comments

• edited February 2013
    @DogsDogsDogs, the Nikon J1 comes with a lens which is relatively wide angle. I don't know this specific camera, so my comments are general.

For sharp action shots you want to use a high shutter speed, something like 1/500th or even 1/1000th of a second in order to be able to freeze the action. In order to get proper exposure at such a high shutter speed, ideally you are in a brightly lit environment such as outdoors in bright daylight, not in a dark gymnasium. You can set your ISO higher, say up to ISO 400. At ISO 800 on such a small sensor, the images could start showing some nasty digital noise.

You should set your camera to Single Point AF mode in order to ensure your camera will be focusing on the right subject.

• edited February 2013
    Thanks amigo.

Pretty much all of my pictures are taken outside on a sunny day. I was beginning to be disappointed because its winter here and my photos were taken while overcast. I had all my settings to what you suggested, but it did worse than a point and shoot when I took photos of my dog running.

Indoors:
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h249/morleykerry/2012027-3.jpg

Overcast:
    http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h249/morleykerry/2012015-1.jpg

• Howdy @DogsDogsDogs - @amigo is spot on with the advice he gave you. When it comes to fast moving subjects it's all about keeping the shutter speed above 1/250 and shooting in the best light possible (outdoors in bright light).

Can you enable Auto ISO on your Nikon J1? If so, I would activate it and set your shutter speed to 1/250. I would also enable burst mode, which will allow you to fire off a series of shots in quick succession. Let us know how they turn out.
  • edited February 2013
    Yes I can set it with three ISO auto options:
    100-3200
    100-800
    100-400

The set ISO options are:
    HI 1

Shutter speed can be changed (up to 1/16,000) but only for single shots, not in burst mode. With the burst mode, I have the options of:
    10 fps
    30 fps
    60 fps

There is another option popping up just under the AF-S, it measures f/3.5 up to f/16. Blank moment there.

I'll post a picture in daylight with the new settings.

Thanks guys!
  • edited February 2013
    In AF-A mode will your camera track the subject and can capture images 10fps. AF-S mode is optimal for shooting stationary subjects. In this mode the camera has 60fps.

Your camera has AF-C mode (continuous autofocus) and also has subject tracking AF-area mode. Set up these settings on your camera and give a try.

I have a D5100 and I always shoot dogs with AF-C and 3D tracking settings. AF-C will keep the subject in sharp focus all the time, meanwhile subject tracking will follow the moving subject. Of course, you need fast shutter speeds like Moose mentioned above (1/250 or 1/500).
  • @DogsDogsDogs - I would go with the 100-3200 Auto ISO option, especially when shooting fast moving subjects. If you're shooting motionless subjects you can bump it down to 100-800.

As for the continuous burst mode setting, 10fps should be good. My guess is that the Nikon J1 lowers the resolution for the 30fps and 60fps options.
  • edited April 2013
    This was quick. I couldn't for the life of me get into manual settings, so I just used auto select for exposure and everything else was set to what everyone here suggested. See the photos below. Some are edited, some not.

Photo 1, 2, 3 (Everybody...meet Derp Face), 4, 5, 6 (Must get a clear, in focus shot of this part of the gate!), 7, 8.

Also, these photos were taken with a 30mm lens. Saving up for the 100mm.

Thanks all!
  • @DogsDogsDogs - Thanks for sharing!
  • edited April 2013
    @DogsDogsDogs- Can you tell me how you did the settings for takings shots of moving animals? How did you set auto, shutter speed and ISO together? I've been trying to do so, but I'm not able to.