Error Message "Movie Stopped Recording Automatically"

edited February 2013 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
Hey all! I'm getting the message "Movie Stopped Recording Automatically" on my Canon T3i and it's freaking me out! I'm using a 32 GB Sandisk SDHC Class 10 memory card that I bought off eBay and a Canon T3i that I got off of craigslist, so I know my setup already sounds a little sketchy. The weird thing is that this setup has worked before, and I have been able to record video for extended periods of time with both this camera and the memory card. Prior to getting the T3i (in January), I even used a T2i that worked well with this exact memory card. I've owned the card for nearly three months and it hasn't been giving me problems until now. I don't know if it's the card I should be worried about or the camera. At the moment, it's to the point where I'll hit record with the Canon T3i and the "movie auto stop" message pops up frequently and it seems like I can now only get an average of about five seconds of video before it stops. Sometimes it'll let me record a minute, other times a second. The little buffer icon also pops up, disappears, pops up with two bars, disappears for a while, pops up, then finally appears with five bars and stops recording. All this seems very inconsistent. Maybe fake cards have a working life span, then crap out on you after a time period?

Also I don't really know if this is a legit way to speed test SD cards, but I thought I'd just throw that out there. I did a speed test with the card on my macbook pro. I was able to film a little one minute clip that turned out to be 460 MB on the card. At 30 MB/s transfer (as stated on the card) that should equate to roughly 15 seconds transfer time. So I dragged the video into the mac and it transferred in about 10 seconds give or take. So, with regards to transfer speed, I guess it seems to be working alright. On a side note I've noticed when I transfer video into FCP X, it takes longer for everything to get imported versus importing into finder, but maybe that's just FCP X.

I've tried reformatting the card, doing the low level format, clearing the camera settings, reinstalling the firmware of the camera, and this issue still persists. I'm beginning to worry it's the Canon T3i itself (which seems to be fairly new). I'll be calling Canon today, but any input or light you could shed onto my situation would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!
James

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Your memory card is most likely the culprit. Unfortunately, all CF/SD cards will eventually fail when you least expect it (during a shoot). I would recommend you purchase not one 32GB card, but two 16GB cards; one as your primary card, the second as the backup should the first one fail in the middle of a shoot.
  • edited February 2013
    Hey thanks amigo! I ended up buying a 16 GB SDHC which seems to be working well so far. It also has 45 MB/s vs the 30 MB/s I had with the 32 GB card. The main thing though, is after comparing the cards physically, I think the 32 GB is some kind of fake. It doesn't have the Sandisk engraving on the back so that pretty much solves that.
  • Your memory card must be a class 6 or higher to record with the Canon T3i