Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

18-300mm versus 18-200mm Nikon lens for the D5100

alcalc
edited February 2015 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I'm considering either the 18-300mm or 18-200mm Nikon lens for my D5100. What have your experiences been about using one of these as a one lens solution?

Comments

• edited February 2015
    I have both lenses and both are very good. With the 55-200mm I can take zoomed pictures without a tripod, however with the 55-300mm when I zoom to the maximum some pictures could be shaky and not completely sharp. In this case I would recommend using a tripod or a monopod.
  • edited February 2015
    But the question was about 18-200mm or 18-300mm!
  • alcalc
    edited February 2015
    I ordered the 18-300mm lens initially but found it to be too heavy and bulky for an all around lens and especially for traveling. I returned it and got the 18-200mm instead and now am really very happy I made the switch.
  • edited February 2015
    Just wanted to throw my thoughts in here about these lenses. These are what are known as superzooms or convenience zoom lenses. The appeal is obvious; they cover a huge focal range.
    You need to be aware of certain downsides with this type of lens:
    1. Your composition gets lazy. Rather than move for a potentially better perspective, you’ll just twist your zoom ring.
    2. Since you have every focal length covered, you’ll develop a reluctance in acquiring other lenses which are more specialized and better suited for certain situations. It’s even mentioned in the first post here that this is a “one lens solution”. Is it possible that this one lens is the only lens you’ll need? Sure, but is that what you want? After all, the appeal of a DSLR or any interchangeable lens camera system is the ability to use specialized lenses depending on shooting scenario. Something like an RX10 makes much more sense than to permanently mount a superzoom onto a DSLR. It’s smaller, cheaper, and the lens has a larger max aperture.