Canon 60D with Canon 50mm f/1.8 Lens

edited January 2013 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
Recently I purchased a Canon 60D with kit 18-55mm IS II lens. I want sharp and blurred background images of family and friends indoor as well as outdoor. After researching I came to know that Canon 60D uses crop sensor which means that it has a multiply factor of 1.6. So is Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens good for indoor photography as 50 multiplied by 1.6 is not a normal vision? Somewhere I read that our eyes are normally at 50-55mm. Please advise if I should get this lens, or should I wait and get something else? I am tight on budget so I can't afford a costly lens. My use will be product photography, family get togethers and outdoor portraits.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    The Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 is a great lens with a fantastic price/value ratio. It is great for portraits, and with its wide aperture, is good for the nice blurry backgrounds you are looking for. It's also good in low light.

The only drawback as you pointed out is that it's not wide enough for the typical family gathering in a small room around the table. For these shots, you probably want to use your 18-55mm zoom with the flash.