Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

18-105mm or 55-200mm Lens?

edited January 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
I got my Nikon D5100 for Christmas and have been contemplating about whether to get the 18-105mm Nikon lens, or the 55-200mm lens. I have the 18-55mm kit lens at the moment so if I were to get the 55-200mm lens I'd have a higher maximum milimeter, but I'd have to switch the lens at the 55mm mark. If I got the 55-105mm lens I wouldn't have to switch at all, but I wouldn't be able to get up to 200mm. I do a fair bit of portrait, light painting (hence the username), wildlife and landscape photography and a bit of filming, so I'm not sure which'd be better. The people I take portraits of tend to move around a lot hence why I think the 18-105mm would be better because it gives me more reach for when I'm taking photos at a distance. However for wildlife, the 55-200mm would give me even more reach, and for taking photos of a distant squirrel I'm not going to need lower than 55mm am I? So I won't have to change lens whilst doing wildlife. The landscape would also be fine with the 55-200mm lens as I'd simply have to switch to the 18-55mm, and the landscape isn't going anywhere right? Then light painting, I wouldn't have any problem with the 55-200mm either. With filming the 18-55mm would be better for the kinds of filming I do as it would give me a bit more reach without changing lenses while filming. A friend of mine who does the same sort of photography as me who is currently doing a GCSE in photography told me that he uses the 18-105mm, so it's swaying my decision. I'm wondering what you people think, as you can see it's rather a predicament.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    If it were it me I would keep the 18-55mm and also get the 55-200mm.