Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D5100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Settings for Indoor Group Shots

edited January 2013 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hi Moose,
We do a lot of training of groups at work. I have been asked to take pictures during training sessions and a group picture at the end of the training. It is in a large conference room with about 70 people. Any advise on what settings to put my camera on when I take the indoor pictures, especially the group photos and when they are in session?

Thank you.
I am using a D5100 and have 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses.

Comments

• @moniquetbag - It really depends on how much natural light is available. I would shoot primarily in Aperture Priority (A on the mode dial) and select the lowest available f-number (this will be dependent on the lens and focal length). I would also jump into your settings and enable Auto ISO. That should get you going in the right direction. :)
  • edited January 2013
    You can try Aperture Priority with Live view (next to the Mode dial there is an Lv switch).
    You can change your AF-area mode settings to Face-Priority AF. With these settings your camera will be able to recognize a maximum 35 faces automatically. You can play with it.
    Also check the White balance settings if there is a problem with the colors.
    I think the 18-55mm will be good for the job as it requires a wide angle.