What are the best lightweight travel packs to hold my gear?

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I was talking with a fellow T2i owner over on my Facebook page and he was wondering which pack would be best for his upcoming trip to Europe. I thought it would be beneficial to share our conversation with all of you...

David's Question: I'm planning a trip to Europe. I want to take the T2i, some gear and a bag. I am in my senior years and need to travel as lightly as possible. What do you recommend as a basic travel pak and bag? I have an 18-55mm and a 55-250mm. I could get a 50mm prime if it made things easier. Wasn't planning to bring a tripod, but would if it was as big as a thimble and weighed the same. I also need room for sandwiches and a diet coke.

Moose's Answer: If you're an active shooter, meaning you plan on taking 50 to 500 shots per day, I highly recommend wearing your T2i using a comfortable strap and storing your extra gear in a lumbar pack. With this setup, you'll have quick access to your T2i at any given moment. The strap that comes with the T2i is not meant to be worn all day. For all day shooting, you'll want something like a Crumpler strap. It's spongy and conforms to the shape of your shoulder nicely. I usually wear my strapped diagonally from my shoulder, across my chest and resting the camera on my opposite hip.

As for the lumbar pack, the High Sierra Ridgeline would be more than sufficient to carry an extra lens, batteries, lens brush/blower, sandwich and even a diet coke. ;) The nice thing about a lumbar pack is that you don't feel weighted down while walking or exploring, which makes it excellent for travelers.

I wouldn't limit yourself to the 50mm prime lens for travel shots. There will be situations where you need wide-angle and other situations where you need to zoom into distant subjects. If you have some spare change lying around, you might think about selling your 18-55mm and 55-250mm lens for an all-in-one lens like the Tamron 18-270mm. This lens will allow you to capture everything from wide-angle to telephoto all with one lens. It also comes equipped with VC (vibration compensation) which is basically the same thing as image stabilization. Obviously, this would lighten your load and eliminate the need to carry two lenses with you at all times.

If a lumbar pack isn't your thing or you want something to hold your T2i, then the next best option would be the Caselogic SLRC-205. With this bag, you'll be able to store your T2i with kit lens attached and either the 55-250mm or a diet coke in the side pocket. :) The front pocket is large enough for a sandwich and a couple other accessories.

David's Reply: I have discovered that the Tamron 18-270mm comes in two models, B008 and B003. What is the difference and which do you recommend for my trip?

Moose's Reply: The lens I linked to is the latest version of the Tamron 18-270mm lens. The previous version doesn't come equipped with "VC" or vibration compensation (same thing as image stabilization) or the Piezo ultrasonic drive motor. My guess is that the two numbers you provided are for the new and older versions of the same lens.