Manual Focus

edited December 2012 Posted in » Canon T3i Forum
I just bought my first DSLR, a Canon T3i. I'm trying to teach myself to shoot in manual mode. I was playing around tonight and trying to make bokeh from my christmas tree, but my camera is still auto focusing! ISO 1600, aperture f/5, and shutter speed 1/15 are my settings. Aperture f/5 is the lowest aperture my camera has. Any suggestions?

Also, Im not getting the 3 shots per second this camera is known for. It still takes a few seconds to focus before the picture actually takes. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

Comments

• edited December 2012
    In your message you do not specify which lens you use, but f/5 as the lowest possible aperture will not get you the best blurry backgrounds.

If your camera is still autofocusing, ensure the dial on top of the camera is set to M, and if there is an a/m switch on the lens, make sure it is set to m (manual mode) to disable autofocus and allow you to set the focus with the focus ring.

For nice bokeh of your christmas tree you want to set the aperture as wide open as possible in order to get a shallow depth of field, which will give you a nice blurry background.

I would encourage you to purchase a new or used in good condition copy of the Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens a.k.a. nifty fifty. I purchased this lens slightly used for $90, and it is amazing considering the low price. This would allow you to experiment with apertures varying from f/1.8 to f/3.5, which would give you the effect you are looking for. The nifty fifty is also a great portrait lens for crop sensor cameras such as the T3i.

When handholding my camera, I try to keep the shutter speed at 1/60 or faster (1/250 is typical) in order to avoid blurry pictures. I can go lower when the camera stands on a tripod. Actually, if you don't have one, a tripod, even a cheap one, is a must in my humble opinion.

I find my pictures too grainy for my liking at an ISO 1600. I understand that with your current lens not going any lower than f/5 you need a high ISO for indoor shots, but with the nifty fifty or any other lens that allows a wider aperture (such as the affordable 35mm f/2.0) you could get the ISO down to 800 or 400 for indoor shots.

I don't know which lens you use, but both the 50mm and 35mm mentioned above have a reasonably fast focusing speed. As for not being able to get three shots per second, you should ensure that your SD card is a class 10 or faster, and of a reputable brand.

Lastly, if you find that the colors are way off you should check the white balance and ensure that it matches the lighting you have (outdoors, neon, incandescent light, etc.).
  • edited December 2012
    @nlee - I just want to add to what @amigo said. On the number of FPS check and if you are shooting in RAW or RAW/JPEG; your camera write speed will be slower.

For the bokeh, the closer the subject to the back ground the harder it is to get the nice blur that I think you are looking for. The lens amigo talked about is an awesome little gadget for your toolbox. I use mine all the time and bought a spare as I tend to be rough on gear. For now, move your tree out away from the background and set your aperture as low as you can and see what happens.

I hope this gets you heading in the right direction.

Auston
  • edited December 2012
    I've been using the 50mm f/1.8 lens and no doubt it's great for bokeh shots. :)