Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

18-135mm Lens Versus the 70-300mm Lens

v_kv_k
edited December 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I recently got a Canon 60D and I'm still trying to figure it out! When I bought it, it came with a 18-135mm and 70-300mm lenses. I've been using the 18-135mm mostly. Could you tell me the differences between these two lenses and what kind of shots I should use each one for? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• It depends on how large or small your subject is and how far away from it you will be. The 18-135mm is more of a general purpose lens, while the 70-300mm is good for outdoors and sports. Note that you have an overlap of 70 to 135mm, but that's no big deal.
  • Okay thanks! Would the 70-300mm lens be better for outdoor people portraits then?
  • edited December 2012
    @v_k - It will work but you will need room. I have taken some very good images with mine when I was about 15m from my subject. You will just need to step back and have a good firm hold.
    Good Luck!

Auston
  • edited January 2013
    v_k,
    I have the same two lenses and they both work very well. I use the 18-135mm mostly, because it gets in there very close but is also great for group shots. However, I love to use the 70-300mm for those far away shots like kids going down hills on their snowboards in the park. For those I use the really fast speeds or the tripod.
    Enjoy, kethone