Wide Angle Lens

edited November 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hi guys,
I'm wanting to buy a wide angle lens, but I'm not sure which one to get. Any advice for someone on a very low budget? I only have $300!
Someone gave me a link to this site:

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/canon-ef-50mm-f-1/NTgy#productDetailCustomReviewsAnchor

The reviews for it are not-so-great, but I like the price. Does anyone have this lens on that link?

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Hi Melissa,
    The lens you have posted a link to is an excellent lens, however, it is far from being in the wide angle class. Your 60D is a crop sensor camera so any lens that is attached has to be multiplied by a factor of 1.6. Therefore a 50mm lens on your camera pans out to be an 80mm lens. The confusion arises because lens manufacturers always state sizes as if they were going onto a full frame camera. A full frame camera has a sensor the same size as the negative on the 35mm film (remember that stuff Kodak used to make) so a 50mm lens is truly 50mm. There are good reasons why they don't specify sizes for cropped sensors. For a start, Sony, Nikon and Canon all have different size cropped sensors so it is safer to state the size for full frame which is standard among all the manufacturers.
    Anyway, back to your problem. For true wide angle you are going to be looking at a lens size of between 10mm and 28mm (crop factor 1.6 applied = 16mm and 44mm).
    There is quite a range to choose from. Canon are too rich for your budget of $300 so you will have to look towards third party like Sigma or Tamron.
    Hope this all helps.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited November 2012
    PBked I get what you are saying. So if I wanted a 50mm lens I would have to buy maybe a 30mm or 28mm lens because of the crop factor? Very interesting. Thanks for this, I didn't realise the 60D crops up as you explained! Why do they never mention it when they sell the lens or cameras? If you hadn't told me I wouldn't have known about this crop factor info.

Anyway, I need a lens that can include more in the shot for taking pictures of nature, buildings, trees, flowers, parks, water etc. Do you think a Tamron SP AF 17-50mm would be considered wide angle?Would it be suitable for what I am wanting out of a lens?

Love this forum! I'm learning so much!
  • edited November 2012
    Hi again,
    The Tamron you mention is indeed a wide angle at the 17mm end and there are a lot of photographers who like this lens. Tamron also does a 10-24mm which is truly wide angle. It sells for about £290 in England so it might just fit in your budget. However, I have heard very mixed reviews about it.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited November 2012
    Please take a look at the Sigma 10-20mm ultra wide lens. I have had this lens for about two years now and it is my second favorite lens I own after the Canon 85mm 1.8 USM Prime lens. It's very sharp and surprises me every time I use it. For landscapes it is amazing how wide the angle of view is. Don't ask, because I can't remember the exact numbers, but it's very wide. It's very reasonable in price, probably about $300-325.00 online at Digital Rev or B&H camera. Don't be afraid of refurbished either as my Canon 85mm was refurbished. If buying used only buy from hands on buy, to physically check the lens before putting the money down.
  • edited November 2012
    It's a good idea to sign up for an account with Canon. I did when I registered my camera. Canon will send you emails about great deals, including refurbished lens deals. I got a great price for a refurbished EF-S 15-85mm lens that was virtually brand new. This is a great lens and confirmed by all reviews, however, quite a bit over your limit.
  • I have read nothing but great reviews for the Tokina 12-24mm wide angle lens. I shoot real estate photography and need a wide angle so I've been researching. Found a pretty good YouTube video review that you might be interested in.

I also think I'll take it for a spin first by leasing it for a few days via Borrow Lenses.

http://www.borrowlenses.com