Polarising Filter

edited November 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hi all,
I joined a camera club and last week we went shooting. I was talking to someone and they advised me to buy a polarising filter, which they say reduces glare. Is it a good thing to have the filter and if I purchase it which brand type or size should I buy? I have two lenses that came with the camera; the 18-55mm lens and the 55-250mm lens.

Comments

• edited November 2012
    Hi again Melissa,
    A polarising filter is a good item to have. They are useful for cutting glare on water or shiny surfaces, but have other uses. You can't go wrong with Hoya but there are cheaper brands. However, don't go with the cheapest, as you would be wasting your money in the long run. The good news is that both your lenses have a 58mm filter thread, so you would only have to buy one filter. You might also want to consider a circular polarising filter rather than the standard. This filter rotates and gives different degrees of polarisation, the effects of which you can see in your viewfinder. They are a little more expensive but worth the money over the standard filters.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited November 2012
    Thank you so much PBked.I will hunt down bargains for good brands like the Hoya you mentioned.
  • edited November 2012
    What about hoods? Do you buy hoods according to lenses you have or are the hoods fit for any lenses?
  • Hoods are the same as filters.

You need to buy the correct size and shape depending on what type of lens.