Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Looking To Buy A New Lens

edited October 2012 Posted in » Nikon Lens Talk
I am starting to learn more about my Nikon D5100. I love to take close ups and portraits of people; they are pretty much the only things I enjoy taking pictures of. I read somewhere that with a lens with lower aperture capability I can take nicer pictures, but I have no clue what types of lenses there are, much less what kind I should get. Anyone care to help me out?

Also, I like to take pictures with a lot of depth and focus, mostly in bright light but also in dim lit rooms. I'm looking for something that will let me take smooth, bright and still pictures with a lot of color. Thanks!

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Hi, the dim lit rooms closes the door on most 4-5.6 F stop lenses. A very versatile lens and pretty affordable lens that I use a lot is a Sigma 18-250 1:3.5-6.3 macro lens. In most cases, you can put this lens on and rarely need to take it off! It has a great range;18-250mm can cover a lot of territory, not to mention the fact that it does very well in close up macro situations. Also, since its not a 2.8 or lower lens, it's a 1000.00 less, so the cost won't put you in the poor house. I hope you give it a look.
  • Thought about a prime with f/1.8?