Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Recommended Lenses

edited October 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I currently have the Canon EOS Rebel T2i with both the 18-55mm and the 55-250mm lenses. I was at an air show last weekend and found the limitations of the 55-250mm lens. My daughter and I are going to Europe next summer for three weeks and I would like to have a bigger telephoto. Can you recommend one that is fully compatible with the T2i that won't break the bank? Does something like this exist? Also, what about under the 18-55mm lens? What are my options there?

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Hi there,
    Canon and Sigma have a 70-300mm zoom lens. The specs are almost the same and both have their trade offs but essentially deliver similar results. You would need to consider carrying a tripod if using either at the 300mm end. The Canon retails in England for about £450 and the Sigma slightly cheaper at around £370. As for wide angle the most popular choices seem to be either the Canon 10-22mm ( not cheap ) or the Tamron equivalent.
    However, may I suggest that as a travel lens, the Tamron 18-270mm pzd ( 29-432mm on the T2i ) is hard to beat. It is small, light and delivers good results. I have one myself and really appreciated not having to lug around two or three lenses during my recent three week trip to Italy.
    As a byword, I'm sorry you were disappointed with your 55-250mm as I consider it to be quite an underrated lens. I would probably choose it over the Tamron if I was wanting to use anything over the 55mm end.
    Best regards,
    PBked
  • edited November 2012
    I have the same two lenses plus the 50mm f/1.8. I really would like to use the 18-135mm in place of my 18-55mm and just ditch the 55-250mm telephoto (or use only for sporting events or something like that).

On vacation I needed to be able to zoom in and out to get the shot I wanted, so the 50mm stayed in the bag almost the entire time. The 18-135mm would have given me that extra zoom compared to the 18-55mm I needed for some shots. I would have felt comfortable without the 55-250mm had I owned the 18-135mm.

That would honestly be my suggestion, but it sounds like you need something with more zoom than the 55-250mm.