Best Lenses

edited October 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hello all! I'm new to the Canon world and have a portrait lens as well as the one it came with but I'd like to know some of the best lens to get that won't cost an arm and a leg. So, what would be your top 5 lenses and why?

Comments

• edited December 2012
    1) Canon EF 50mm f/1.8. I got it for $90 used. It's a great lens for the price. Great for portraits where the subject is sharp and the background is blurred. A little too tight for indoor family pictures around the table.

2) Canon 28mm f/1.8 USM. On a crop sensor, this gives a nice field of view. Another option would be the Canon EF 35mm f/2, which I own and is very nice (for the price).

3) Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8. Has great image quality and is versatile. The perfect lens for weddings and family gatherings, and wide enough field of view to take pictures of buildings and landscapes. I bought mine for $800 used. It's not cheap, but it is so versatile it replaces a several prime lenses in my bag.

4) Canon 10-22mm, or alternately the Tokina 11-16mm. Nice for landscape and architectural shots if you're into that.

From time to time I rent expensive glass for the weekend. It costs me $35 per weekend per lens. I pick up the lens at the store on Friday evening and bring it back on Monday at lunch time. It's a great way for me to shoot using glass which I cannot afford to purchase (doesn't pass the wife test), such as the incredible Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon T Lens.
  • Thanks so much!!