Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Best Lenses

edited October 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
Hello all! I'm new to the Canon world and have a portrait lens as well as the one it came with but I'd like to know some of the best lens to get that won't cost an arm and a leg. So, what would be your top 5 lenses and why?

Comments

• edited December 2012
    1) Canon EF 50mm f/1.8. I got it for $90 used. It's a great lens for the price. Great for portraits where the subject is sharp and the background is blurred. A little too tight for indoor family pictures around the table.

2) Canon 28mm f/1.8 USM. On a crop sensor, this gives a nice field of view. Another option would be the Canon EF 35mm f/2, which I own and is very nice (for the price).

3) Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8. Has great image quality and is versatile. The perfect lens for weddings and family gatherings, and wide enough field of view to take pictures of buildings and landscapes. I bought mine for $800 used. It's not cheap, but it is so versatile it replaces a several prime lenses in my bag.

4) Canon 10-22mm, or alternately the Tokina 11-16mm. Nice for landscape and architectural shots if you're into that.

From time to time I rent expensive glass for the weekend. It costs me $35 per weekend per lens. I pick up the lens at the store on Friday evening and bring it back on Monday at lunch time. It's a great way for me to shoot using glass which I cannot afford to purchase (doesn't pass the wife test), such as the incredible Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon T Lens.
  • Thanks so much!!