Buying 60D

edited October 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hi guys,

I really need your advice! What do you think of buying a camera and lenses as a kit? From my limited knowledge, I understand that lenses are the most important part! I came across this kit on amazon. I would really appreciate any suggestions or alternative places where to buy the camera and lenses!

http://www.amazon.com/EOS-Digital-55-250mm-Professional-Accessory/dp/B008MZ9G2I/ref=sr_1_124?ie=UTF8&qid=1349580617&sr=8-124&keywords=canon+d60+kit

Thank you very much!

Comments

• edited October 2012
    You may also want to look at this deal at Fry's ($899 for 60D + EF-S 18-135mm, ends Oct 11). You can save the difference to buy more lenses later when you'll have had more experience.
  • edited October 2012
    @ Marsuik - Hi and welcome to the forum. The package you linked is a good deal for what you are getting. Also the price posted by lamson above is not bad. Make sure you look at what you might be needing with the Fry's deal. Things add up quickly when buying camera gear. I bought mine at Best Buy and would buy again from them because I had great service. I have since bought items from Amazon also and can't complain.
  • edited October 2012
    I'd like to point out that the exact camera and lens deal from Fry's can be had at Best Buy for $1101. The choice is clear. Another thing to consider is that the lens EF-S 18-135mm alone goes for about $400, so you'd be getting the 60D body for $500. I wish I had this deal when I bought my 60D five months ago.
  • edited October 2012
    Thank you so much for your reply and warm welcome. The Frys deal looks good. I also came across this deal on ebay yesterday:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SLR-Canon-60D-EOS-Body-5-Lens-Kit-16GB-LOADED-KIT-/180598867417?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item2a0c8805d9

This one has the body, five lenses, and a bunch of other stuff which I don't even know yet what to use for. Are lenses included in the kit of lower quality as compared to buying them separately? I would appreciate your thoughts!
  • edited October 2012
    Yes, in general, lenses in kits tend to be of lower quality, but they are more than adequate for us beginners. My logic is that you don't really need more than one lens for learning as an absolute beginner and you should save your money for a few months down the line when you think you know what you really need for the type of photography you want to do. It will be fun to learn about EF and EF-S lenses, then to lust after L lenses.
  • edited October 2012
    @Marusik - The ebay kit has a ton of stuff for a great price, but I agree with lamson also. On the other hand, for that price you can get all the items listed and open one or two of the lens to play with. After you learn your camera and start figuring out what style of photographs you wane to take you can sell what you don't need or want.
  • edited October 2012
    The Fry's deal looks great, but the ebay deal is only $300 more and I get four more lenses and a lot of extra stuff. Plus, I am definitely interested in portrait photography, so I need the 50mm lens. I guess I am going to go with ebay deal and as Auston said sell the stuff I am not going to use! Thanks a lot for your advice.