What Is A Good Starter Lens?

edited October 2012 Posted in » General Discussion
I've always been interested in photography and regret not taking a class on it in high school. I am wanting to buy a Canon T2i or T3i, which ever is user friendly. Looking around the web, I've noticed people advise to just buy the camera body and not the lens kit. I am mostly going to use the camera at my sister's sporting events where she plays volleyball, basketball and softball. Would the lens that is included in the lens kit be good enough? If not, what are some good starter lenses? Any help or tips are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    The lenses supplied with most cameras are meant to act as a starter. They do not excel in any area. However, when bought with a camera, these lenses cost much less so I always buy the camera and lens. For the sports you mentioned you need to consider a good quality zoom lens (Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L). There are numerous lenses suitable for this kind of photography so you need to do some research.
    Regards.
  • edited October 2012
    @ LaniMaika - Welcome to the hobby that has ruined a bunch of us. :) Really though, as PBked said, kit lenses are a great way to get stated. I shoot alot of sports and I am saving up for the Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L, but the kit lens EF-S 70-250mm F/3.5-5.6 should be more than enough to get you started. The aperture limitations just means you will have to play with your camera to learn which settings works best in which situation. In my opinion that is part of the enjoyment of it as I am sure PBked will agree (PBked gives awesome advise by the way).

On the camera body I would go with the T3i. I was looking at it but took the step up to the 60D and have not looked back. The reason I went with the 60D is because is was on par with my old Canon ElanIIe.

Anyway, good luck and happy shooting.
    Auston
  • edited October 2012
    @ PBked, hi there hero. I will be posting some sports shots on my FB page and would like to hear your input.
    Cheers,
    Auston
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Auston,
    I do agree with you about the fun of photography. I would enjoy the chance to see some of your work; I am not sure about input though. Sports photography has never been one of my strengths. I'm simply not good at it, but maybe I can learn something from viewing your work. Post a link to your FB page when you are ready. Looking forward to it.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks for your input guys! I will definitely keep all of this in mind when I go and purchase my camera.

Thanks again!
  • edited October 2012
    @PBked - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151178383708486.473199.675468485&type=3

I hope this gets you there.

I would be honored to have you as a FB friend if you do that.

Auston