How To Use Viewfinder After Years Using LCD Screen

edited October 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
Hello, I'm new to DSLR. For the last couple of years I've used a Canon Powershot G12 where the viewfinder was pretty unusable. All my pictures were shot using the LCD screen where you can immediately see the changes you make with aperture/shutter speed/ISO on the screen. So when you shoot, you have an idea how your image is going to look.

I switched to Canon EOS D60 and I'm wondering how to shoot without that feature? I make all the adjustments, shoot and only then see that on the LCD screen?

Sorry if it sounds dumb, but I really ought to know in order to understand how to work with the camera. :)

Thank you.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    "I switched to Canon EOS D60 now, how do I shoot without that feature? Make all the adjustments, shoot and only then see that on the LCD screen?"

Essentially, yes.

But there is live view mode. Which personally I'm not a fan of, but it is useful when you can't get your head behind the camera (i.e when you're lifting the camera way above your head, or you don't feel like lying on the floor).

You most often only need to know if the image will be exposed correctly. This is shown in a exposure scale ( 3..2..1..V..1..2..3 ) at all times on the top of the camera and through the viewfinder. A small marker will point at the current value; to the right is overexposed, to the left underexposed. With some creative photography you will need to ignore the scale, like when taking long exposures of stars or taking pictures of a fire.

There are also a number of ways to get the exposure correct automatically. Time/aperture priority modes and all the creative modes do much of the work for you so you can be quite sure that the image will be ok once you take it.

Hope that helps.
  • edited October 2012
    Hi darshun, thank you for the help. Obviously I'm going to shoot with the viewfinder, I just need time to adjust. :)