Advice on settings for shooting the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone?

edited March 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
This comment was converted into it's own discussion...

@bcsnave's Question: Hello everyone. New to photography in the past 6 months and there is a lot to learn. I have a Canon 60D, 18-135mm 3.5-5.6 kit lens, a Canon 50mm prime f/1.4, a Sigma 10-20mm wide-angle, and a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS. Now it's time to learn how to work this equipment to get the desired results.

I want to capture interesting sunsets, sunrises, birds, barns, motorcycles, etc...Going to the Grand Tetons & Yellowstone this summer. Also have native american dances I want to capture, so I am looking for input. Thanks! - Bill

@Moose's Answer: Howdy Bill! You've got a nice set of lenses, which are very capable of capturing all of the subjects and scene's you mentioned. Let's look at which subjects/scenes would be best suited for your lenses...
  • Sigma 10-20mm - Super wide landscapes (great for the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone), sunsets, sunrises, barns, motorcycles, etc...
  • Canon 50mm f/1.4 - Native American dances (low-light), Close-ups of motorcycles parts (wheels, exhaust, etc...), birds (within close proximity), leaves, flowers, portraits, etc...
  • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 - Birds and wildlife (from a distance), sunsets or sunrises, barns and distant monuments
I didn't include your Canon 18-135mm, because I don't think you'll need it for your trip, especially with the other lenses you currently own. As for settings, you'll predominately be shooting in Aperture priority (Av on the mode dial) and selecting an aperture based on the subject or scene. Here's a starting point for some of your subjects/scenes...
  • Landscapes - Av mode with aperture set between f/8 to f/22
  • Sunsets/Sunrises - Av mode with aperture set between f/8 to f/22
  • Birds - Av mode with aperture set between f/1.4 to f/2.8 or Tv mode (for active or flying birds) with shutter speed set between 1/250 to 1/1000.
  • Barns - Av mode with aperture set between f/8 to f/11
  • Motorcycles - Av mode with aperture set between f/1.4 to f/2.8 for close-ups, otherwise f/4 to5.6
  • Native American Dances - Tv mode with shutter speed set between 1/125 to 1/500
In addition to the above mentioned settings, you'll want to experiment with 'One Shot' AF mode for still subjects (landscapes, motorcycles, etc...) and 'AI Servo' for moving subjects (birds, native american dances, etc...).

That should get you pointed in the right direction. Happy shooting! :)

Comments

• edited March 2012
    @Moose - Thanks so much for the advice. Now I have a good starting place. I have been up in the mornings shooting sunrises over Lake Michigan...and sunsets over the Kettle Moraine hills.

I have the Av mode down ok, now I need to try the shutter speeds.

I also added a 2x teleconverter to the mix. Even though it adds 2 stops and a crop body, the 70-200mm does okay out to 180 (360). - Bill