Is spot metering possible in Food Photography ?

edited September 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
There are nine focusing points in the view finder. The focusing point at the center is surrounded by a small circle. When I shoot with metering mode as spot, is it the central focusing point which always reads the light in the spot metering or the other eight points also read the light in the spot metering.
One more thing, I am also not sure the size of the spot used in spot metering. Is it the size of the central focusing point situated in the center or is it the size of the middle focusing point plus the small circle surrounding the middle focusing point?
In food photography using a 50mm lens f/1.18, I have struggled to find the focus while capturing the image in spot meter. Every time I have tried to capture the image it is more or less out of focus as if there is a hand shake. The same shot when clicked in evaluative metering mode with the same exposure settings comes out sharp and in focus. Why is it so?
In this case I was trying to shoot the five small sized bitter gourds with rough and uneven texture, each about 5 cm long with cut in the middle but the edges intact. The cut in the middle was partially filled in with spices and I could see the off white seeds cut in half of all the bitter gourds.
I tried various apertures ranging from f/1.8 to f/4.5.
Where am I going wrong? Is this related to the size of spot meter (central focusing point + small circle surrounding it) with which I am trying to focus on small edibles or the uneven texture of the bitter gourds or something which I still don’t know?

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Just wondering if this could be a depth of field issue rather then a metering issue.

My understanding is that metering is for exposure not for focusing.
  • edited September 2012
    Yes, metering is related to exposure and not to focusing. I am not able to figure out the solution, and the problem remains the same.