Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Nikon D3100 Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Best lenses for bokeh effect

edited March 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Hi Moose! I just treated myself to the Nikon 3100. I've had compact digital cameras (including a bridge camera) and the pictures have always been good, 'but' they lack the blurred background effect that you can only seem to get with a slr camera hence my purchase this week.

I opted for the kit rather than the camera body as I understand the 18-55mm DX lens is meant to be a good all rounder. I mainly take pictures of my grandchildren and scenery. I'm not into wildlife or anything like that, so I need a lens which will give a lovely soft background and make the pictures of my grandchildren stand out more.

I did have a slr camera 30 years ago, but have forgotten everything I ever picked up from then. Thats what compacts do...they make you lazy and forgetful. :) I am also watching the pennies these days so a reasonabley priced lens would be practical any advice would be very welcome thank you.

Comments

• edited March 2012
  • Hi Moose, thanks for getting back to me, I shall certainly look into the suggested lens, there seems to be so many these days and they can be confusing which fit and which work well, I don't mind moving about where possible but I have walking dissabilities so am a little slower these days but I love photography and it's always well worth it when you get that perfect shot where the subject looks as those it's raised above everything else,it just stands out, thanks again.