Does a remote control help blur for nighttime photos?

edited September 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I'm enjoying your forum. I take pictures of my granddaughters soccer games during the day and at night. To prevent some
blurred pictures I was wondering if a remote control would help? I use a monopod most of the time but I feel like I may
cause some of the blur when I am pressing the button on the camera.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this. The lens I use during the daytime is the Tokina 80-400mm. Being limited to where I can
take pictures doesn't help.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    If it is camera blur then it might help, but if you are holding the camera and monopod correctly, then it won't.

Zoom into your photo and have a good look around; this might give you some better clues.

Could it be a focusing issue with your lens not being able to keep up?
    Not that I am saying the Tokina is slow (well I hope not as I intend to get one soon) but maybe you are not allowing the lens to focus properly before taking the shot.
    Which auto focus method are you using?
    By using the auto focus button on the back of the camera rather than the shutter button, you can follow the action and click while the camera is still focused.
    I am sure someone will jump in here and explain it better than I can if you are not understanding what I mean.
  • edited September 2012
    Honestly there is a lot about my camera I don't understand. I keep it on auto focus and the dial on the sports figure when at the soccer field. Both girls play club soccer and much of the time I am limited on where I can sit. Some of the best pictures I have shot have been at the back of the net and to the side. I am beginning to think I may cause the camera shake when I press the button. I do like the Tokina Lens for the zoom. I think the problem is with the operator.

When you say the auto focus button on the back of the camera, I don't know where that is on my camera. Would appreciate that information. I use the shutter button and that is where I think my problem may be.

Thanks for your input.
  • This is a link to some video tutorials you can watch. There is one specifically for the rear focus button and how best to use them. But I hope you find them all helpful.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/galleries/galleries/tutorials/eos_60d_tutorials.shtml
  • edited September 2012
    Thank you. I am a 95% visiual learner so anything I can watch will certainly help.
  • edited October 2012
    @ dee46 - Hi there, I am sorry to say that in your situation a remote switch will not help. @ withns, I think it is an issue with the lens not being fast enough in the situation at hand. Don't get all doom and gloom on me I am sure we can sort this out.

Dee46, I have not looked up your lens but I bet it is a 80-400mm f/4-5.6. If so, it means it is not letting in enough light needed to sharpen up your shots at the longer focual ranges. I have an idea that was passed to me and I am passing it to you. Lets get to work.

First thing, the little sports running icon on the dial just can't get it done in low light environments in which you shoot. If you look through the form you will find several topics on settings for AV and TV shooting modes. I have started shooting in M mode to get what I am needing in my shots, but more on that later.

I really think a big part of your issue is the fact that the camera in auto focus mode can't keep up with the action on the soccer field. I recommend setting the lens to manual focus. I am going to outline some things to do that will help you get the hang of it fairly fast. This technique is called panning and is alot easier to do than talk about. It is best if you go to a park or in the yard with your grandchildren so you can have moving targets to practice on.

The concept is this, get the zoom you want then use the small focus ring to fine tune. You're thinking that the image is alway changing and you will need to be focusing nonstop. Well you are right, and no you won't. When you get it down you will be making tiny focual adjustments and not even realize you are. Panning is when you track (or move) the camera with your subject. This is what is going to give you sharper images. The best way to get it is to go to a park and shoot anything moving. Trust me you have been doing the panning all along now I am just having you concentrate on doing it.

Next we are going to look at your settings.
    Later,
    Auston