Using Canon Speedlite 430EX II off camera

edited September 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I have a Canon 60D and have ordered the Canon 430 EX II speedlite. I would like to use the speedlite off camera. How does the camera control the speedlite if it is off the camera? Do I need any other equipment? If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks to anyone who can give me guidance on this.

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I have a Canon 60D and a 430EXII.

I've been using a few different set ups.
    Simplest: On the camera rotate the flash head to bounce flash rather than directly illuminate the subject. Seems to work well. With the ETTL mode the flash backs off rather than overexposing. With everything running automatically it's very cool how you can just set the background and flash exposures to your desired settings and shoot.

Next: Take the 430 off camera and mount it on a pole (or it's own foot stand). Pop up the on camera flash to talk to the 430. This is the by-the-book method of off camera flash with these two devices. I'd have to say I've not used this much yet and so far the results have been a little disappointing. The flash seems harsh. Could be that I need a small defuser in the cramped stuio space I have access to.

Third: Use a TTL cable to link the camera to the 430. I've had some good results just holding the flash in my off hand at arms length. Gives a nice diffused spotlight effect with all the auto feedback still working nicely.

Lastly: Use a cheap radio trigger. I'm only using one of those cheapy Hong Kong radio triggers. OK results so far, but I have to run everything manually. I could have bought one of the much more expensive pocket wizard type radio triggers which also provides the ETTL feedback, but that will have to wait until I have more spare cash.