Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Macro Photography

edited September 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I'm looking at doing some macro photography of small electronic devices, connectors, PC board layouts, etc. with a T2i.

There seems to be a few options for lenses and adapters. I have been looking at the Raynox DCR250 and also the Canon EF-S 60mm 2.8 lens solutions. I am more confused than ever.

One of my concerns (could be chalked up more to understanding) of the lens product I will use is the ability to take both narrow and deep depth of field shots. There will be times where I will need to focus on a component that might be 2-inches long, and want the focus to be there on the full length of the device, or on a printed circuit board layout, populated with components that could be 3-inches square.

With a narrow depth of field (which most of the solutions I have seen would handle very well), I would get a nice clean show of a portion of the scene, but the rest of the image would be blurred (which is nice, but not the effect I am looking for). I really need the whole desired image to be in focus.

I don't want to drop a bundle on a lens solution, but also would consider purchasing good reliable clean solution. The Raynox looks like an interesting product to start with, but I could not determine if a wide depth of field was even possible with it.

Thoughts?

John