Lens For Landscapes for my 60D

edited September 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I'm planning a trip to Arizona and I want to get a decent lens for landscapes. I was looking at the Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5USM,
the Tamaron SP 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 and the Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC.
Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Hi Harry,
    Consider also the Canon EF-S 15-85mm. It is cheaper than the 10-22mm (at least in Britain it is) and it has a much more versatile range. I owned the 10-22mm and it was rarely on my camera. I now have the 15-85mm and it is rarely off my camera. Any distortion at the 15mm end is fairly easy to correct.
  • edited September 2012
    Hi Pbked,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Right now I am shooting with a Tamaron 18-270mm. I have the 18-85mm covered but its something to think about.
  • edited September 2012
    Hi again,
    The Tamron is a capable lens and as you say it covers the range of the 15-85mm so in that case my suggestion would be the Canon 10-22mm which I once owned. For an EFS lens, the optical quality is very high.
    Regards.
  • edited September 2012
    I am currently looking at getting the Tokina 11-16mm for my OS trip next year.

This is a link to the review and shows comparison photos for the lenses in a similar focal range.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tokina-11-16mm-f-2.8-AT-X-Pro-DX-Lens-Review.aspx
  • edited October 2012
    You might also consider shooting panoramas with some stitching software. The results can be excellent giving you all the drama of ultra-wide angles without any cost.

It's worth reading up a little on nodal points to get the best results. If you're really keen and have the carrying capacity, something like a nodal ninja mount will give great results.