Nikon 35mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.8d

edited September 2012 Posted in » Nikon D3100 Forum
Help me! Between the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 I am wondering which one I should get? I would like a walk around lens (preferably for Bokeh and portraits).
What are the pros and cons of each?
Also, what does it mean by 50mm 1.8d and 1.8g?

Thanks. :D

Comments

• edited September 2012
    First of all a G type lens is designed specifically for a DX (cropped sensor) Nikon Digital SLR and the aperture is controlled by the camera as opposed to a D type lens that has aperture control on the lens itself. The G, as far as I know, doesn't stand for anything specific.

If your walking around and just want to take candid shots of people, I would recommend either the 85mm or 105mm. It has a a longer range and less chance off spooking. The 50mm is perfect for indoor/outdoor portraits and the 35mm is also top notch. There are plenty of youtube videos about which will give you a better idea. Personally I like the 50mm.

The 50mm 1.8d is a manual focus lens hence being half the price.
    The 35mm 1.8g has auto focus as well as manual.

If you can stretch your budget I would go for the 105mm. It's the way forward, but I'm sure others have an opinion too. :)

Pros and cons can be endless for each user; my pros for both is speechless!
    Focal length has to be a topic for both, but it depends what you want to do.

My advice is pop your kit lens on and shoot at 50mm for a couple hours to get the feel of a fixed focal length and then switch to 35mm and see how you feel.

Don't judge the shots for clarity and sharpness because both lenses are way better than the kit lens.

Hope this helps.
  • edited September 2012
    Okay thanks. It really helped a lot. :D