which lens to use?

edited September 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
My new 60D came with two lenses the 18-55mm and the 55-250mm. How do I select which one to use? In the moment I just randomly put the 18-55mm and that's the one I'm learning with. I would be happy to know if there are any factors to consider when deciding which lens to shoot with.
Thanks.

Comments

• edited September 2012
    Please, someone answer me. I also noticed that when I use the 18-55mm lens the minimum f-stop I can get to is f/2.7; it doesn't go lower than that. With the 55-250mm it goes as low as f/4 and doesn't go down further. Am I doing something wrong?
  • edited September 2012
    Hi again Melissa.
    No you are doing nothing wrong. The 18-55mm and 55-250mm both have a minimum aperture of f/3.5 and you cannot go below that without changing to a different lens with a wider aperture (eg. f/2.8 or 1.8 or 1.4 or 1.2).

The 18-55mm is not a great lens, but it is ok for learning with, taking pictures of everyday subjects including landscapes, people and some close-ups. It is not great for indoor work without flash because of the f/3.5 minimum aperture, but it can be used indoors in very well naturally lit environments.

The 55-250mm is a very underrated lens. Contrary to what the experts tell you, I have many great shots taken with one. The zoom range is ideal for bringing those distant objects closer, wildlife photography and candids and at 55mm at the low end you avoid the distortions that many of the 18mm lens suffer from.

Many newbies make the mistake of thinking that a better lens will make them a better photographer. While it is true that you get better optical quality with more expensive lenses, that in itself won't make you a better photographer. Having said that, you will find many references on this forum to the nifty fifty. This is the Canon f/1.8 50mm lens and is a popular choice from amateur to professional levels. With its wider aperture it does open up more opportunities, but it still will not make you a better photographer. Refer to Auston's reply to your other post for advice on that.
    Regards,
    PBked
  • edited September 2012
    I understand what you are saying PBked. Thanks so much, I was thinking I was doing something wrong.