Shooting hummingbirds

edited August 2012 Posted in » Canon 60D Forum
I have a 60D with the 70-300mm EF USM lens and a 430 EX II Speedlite mounted on the hot shoe. I want to take pictures of hummingbirds, and when I try "T" setting it stops me at 1/250, which is too slow. Is there any way to use the flash with a faster speed setting? Any thoughts?

Comments

• edited August 2012
    I maybe wrong, but when I purchased the 60D I do believe there was a specification that says the fastest shutter speed to sync with a flash is 1/250. I believe it's stated here under shutter:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_60d#Specifications

I shoot hummingbirds myself in the back yard at the feeder without a flash. To capture their speed I use aperture priority. On a bright day I will set the ISO speed to as low as possible while keeping a fast shutter speed of 1/800 or higher. I have experimented with slower shutter speeds and faster. I am using the same lens by the way. Faster shutter speeds stop them in mid air. Sometimes I like the shutter speeds a little slower so you actually get the slight blur of the wings. You might want to make sure you prefocus where they are going to be because they move so fast. Good luck.
  • edited August 2012
    Hi,
    To get shutter speeds above 1/250 you have to use high speed sync. On your 430 EX II there is a button to the right of the zoom button. Push it until you see a icon showing a lightning bolt beside the letter H. I use manual mode and your flash will automatically set the exposure. Your flash will light your subject up to about 8-10 ft. Your shutter speed will control the ambient light. If you are getting too much or too little flash use you flash exposure compensation. Under you quick menu it is icon third one down on the right.

I don't shoot humming birds but use this to shoot backlit scenes in full sun.
  • Sorry. The flash composition is third one down on the left.