Camera vs Lens

edited August 2012 Posted in » General Discussion
Hello!

I am new to the photography game, but I am working my way into this new world. I am already shooting out of program mode, with a Canon T2i. My favorite lens is the Nifty Fifty as of now, but I am looking forward to expanding.

I am noticing that my photos aren't as clear or crisp as I'd like them to be. In fact, I feel that sometimes I got more clear and crisp photos from my Canon Powershot, while shooting in Auto! I am saving my pennies for my next camera investment, and here goes my incredibly dumb question, I'm sure.

Is the quality of my photo based primarily on the camera I have, or the lens I'm using to take the photo? Obviously, I can spend oodles of money on amazing equipment (both on an expensive camera body and expensive lenses), but if I had to upgrade only one first to try and improve my picture quality, which should I look into? Any recommendations?

Thank you,
Erica

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Hi Erica
    Welcome to the forum and the world of digital photography. I am not quite sure what you mean by clear and crisp, but your T2i and the nifty fifty are capable of some stunning shots. I hesitate to say this as I don't want to cause offence, but it is possible that it is your technique that is lacking.
    When you say you are working in program mode, then you are actually using auto but with a little more control. However, in my experience, most people use program without taking advantage of the extra control.
    May I suggest that you be a little daring and start using aperture priority A mode? Leave your ISO set to auto. Go out and take some test shots of the same subject, but setting a different aperture each time. When you review your shots, do so using Canon's zoombrowser program and turn on shooting information and focus points; there is an icon on the menu bar for each of these functions. From the shooting information you will be able to see what shutter speed and ISO the camera chose for each of the apertures. The focus points will show you what the camera was looking at. The main benefit is that you will see which apertures gave the clearest, crispest pictures and you have the knowledge that you had control over the camera when taking them.
    Finally, your T2i is an excellent camera so if you wish to upgrade then you will want to be looking at extra lenses, but that is a whole subject in itself.
  • edited August 2012
    @ Erica - if anyone on this forum can help you PBked is the man for the job. He is spot on in his responce. The only thing I would add is that I have spoken to several pro's in my travels and they have all told me the same thing. Buy the best lens you can get because they will out last the best camera body in the long run. Your T2i is a very good body so I would say upgrade your glass. Then down the road you can step up the camera body and still have great lens.
    I am sure your are reading the forum on the T2i. It will have some great advice to help.
    Good luck.
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Auston,
    Good point about buying the best glass that you can afford. I'm still waiting for my lottery win to be able to do so.