Camera bag recommendations for a female novice photographer

edited March 2015 Posted in » Nikon D5100 Forum
Hi there! I just received a D5100 yesterday (my first DSLR, yippee) and I'm wondering what everyone recommends for a non-bulky, lightweight case? I ordered the Case Logic SLRC-205 sling bag and I'm hoping that will be perfect. However, I'm so used to plopping my Canon G11 in my purse and heading out the door that I'm wondering if I should also look for a case that is even smaller in addition to the Case Logic. Thanks!

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Howdy @lisab1226 - The CaseLogic SLRC-205 (see here) is fantastic for hiking, biking and all day shooting when it's the only bag you're carrying. It's definitely not small or compact. If you're a purse wearer, then I would consider these three alternatives...

1. Use a super comfortable strap like the Crumpler Industry Disgrace (see here) and wear the D5100 (along with your purse). The idea here is to travel as light as possible, with the ability to quickly capture subjects at a moments notice.

2. Use a larger sling styled bag like the Lowepro Passport Sling (see here) to carry your D5100 and every day essentials (pocketbook, keys, make-up bacg, etc...).

3. Use a "purse" styled bag like the ones created by Jill-e (see here) and completely replace your current purse.

Hope that helps and happy shooting! :)
  • edited June 2014
    You can also opt for a Pelican ProGear U160 camera backpack. These are large waterproof, crushproof cases that protect cameras and other sensitive equipment. Get details at http://bit.ly/1jC6rnF.
  • edited March 2015
    I love my Dolica Bag, Dolica DK-20 Medium Travel Camera Backpack (Black). I have had it for 3 years and carry it all over; I made it my "man purse". I carry 2 cameras (one small Nikon 9100 Travel superzoom camera), 3 lenses, and that's just the bottom compartment. In the top section I carry extra batteries, cables, first aid, and anything for that day/trip. Hook the Dolica tripod on the side.
    Dan B
    ODB Photography