Howdy, Stranger!

If you're just starting out in the world of photography and want to learn how to get the most out of your camera, then this forum is your new secret hangout spot!

Take better photos today with my Canon T2i Cheat SheetsCheck 'em out!

Distant lightning storm at night

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon T2i Forum
I would like to know the best way to capture images of a distant lightning storm at night where the lightning is putting on a breathtaking show. Please keep in mind I am a fresh newbie who gets lost after preset settings, but I want to learn. Would it be best to video and take pictures from within the video? Would the resolution hold up if you take a picture from the video? Thank you for your time and input. Peace.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    What I do is switch the dial on the camera to "Tv" mode (shutter priority). ISO I leave at 200. Then, set the exposure time to something around 5 seconds (play with the exposure time yourself). Using an external shutter release (with the camera on a tripod of course), I click away hoping to catch some lightning strikes. I've caught some fantastic ones using this method.

If you don't have an external shutter release, use the delay feature (set at 2 seconds) so you don't get blurry pictures.
  • edited July 2012
    I changed my avatar to show strike I caught during a storm last year.