Canon 50mm f/1.4 indoors? and outdoors?

edited July 2012 Posted in » Canon Lens Talk
I have a 60D (body only) on order, and I'm trying to wade through the array of choices on lenses. I shoot mostly my kids and family (daily life kind of stuff) both indoors and out, sun and shade. Basically a little bit of everything. We frequently do family portraits outside. Is the 50mm wide enough to get 5 people in focus and still have blurry backgrounds? The Canon 50mm f/1.4 is what I'm leaning towards to start out with. Is that good for indoor candid shots as well as everything else? I really want great bokeh. I am open to buying up to three primes right now. I'm not interested in zooms or L series. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Comments

• edited August 2012
    @laura0417 - The 50mm you talk about is an awesome little lens that will give you super bokeh. I do want to point out that the 60D has a 1.6 crop factor (not sure if you knew this) that will effectivly make a 50mm equal a 80mm. This could make it tough getting shots in tight places. But it has been my experience that to get really great bokeh in the situations you are talking about you need a f/2.8 or wider. If you can, look at some of the lens rental places and try out some lenses to find the one that fits your style. I hoped this gets you going in the right direction.
    Later,
    Auston